Carnival 2017 in Tempio Pausania, Sardinia: a bit of fun even in winter
- Published: 19-01-2017
- Category: Events
Sardinia in winter is a destination that has much to offer to its visitors. Especially for those who want to enjoy the atmosphere of one of the most colourful events of the year. Such as the 2017 edition of the Carnival of Tempio Pausania, which will take place on February 23rd, 26th and 28th.
The three days of the Tempio’s Carnival will be a real mix of colours, masks and music. The most important moment will be the traditional parade of floats on February 28th, Mardi Grass. In addition to this, other side events will take place.
The traditional masks
- Ghjolghju Puntogliu, an enormous mask depicting the power that ends the Mardi Gras float parade.
- Mannena, curvy commoner who accompanies Ghjolghju Puntogliu.
- Lu Traicogghju, a sort of cross between a demon and a spirit that walks along the streets of Tempio Pausania dragging chains, ox leathers and pots.
- La Réula, the hosts of the dead.
- Lu Linzolu Cupaltatu, a mysterious female figure walking along the streets completely wrapped in a sheet.
Although Carnival is the reason that brought you here, you can visit other beautiful places of northern Sardinia. Not far away, in fact, there are places such as Porto Torres, Sassari, Asinara, Olbia (just to name a few).
How to get there
The main port near Tempio Pausania is Olbia. And to get there from Olbia, just take the state highway 127 and follow the road signs to Tempio. The journey by car takes about fifty minutes.
For further information about the Carnival 2017 in Tempio Pausania (complete programme, any changes), you can visit the official website of the event, Carnevaletempiese.it.
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/sweetdreamer_itRelated articles