Carnival 2016 in Sardinia: masks and float parades of Tempio Pausania
- Published: 7-01-2016
- Category: Events
This year, the most important days of Carnival are February 7 (Sunday) and February 9 (Mardi Gras). And these will be the days one of a very awaited event during winter in Sardinia: we’re talking about the 2016 edition of Carnival of Tempio Pausania.
The Carnival of Tempio Pausania
Usually, the Carnival of Tempio Pausania lasts 3-4 days. Days that will be dedicated solely to fun, colors, floats, music. And, of course, to the traditional masks, the real protagonists of this event:
- Ghjolghju Puntogliu, an enormous mask depicting the power that ends the Mardi Gras float parade
- Mannena, curvy commoner who accompanies Ghjolghju Puntogliu
- lu Traicogghju, a sort of cross between a demon and a spirit that walks along the streets of Tempio Pausania dragging chains, ox leathers and pots
- la Réula, the hosts of the dead
- lu Linzolu Cupaltatu, a mysterious female figure walking along the streets completely wrapped in a sheet
Visit the surroundings
If Carnival is one of the most important event in this part of Sardinia, near Olbia there are several places to see such as Porto Rotondo, Berchiddeddu, Maddalena island and Caprera island, Isola Rossa, Olbia.
How to get there
The main tourist port near Tempio Pausania is Olbia, on the east coast of Sardinia.
- To get to Olbia, take the state highway 127 towards west and follow the road signs to Tempio Pausania.
- The trip by car takes about 50 minutes.
For more information about Tempio Pausania Carnival 2016 (complete program, dates), you can visit these two websites:
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/sweetdreamer_itRelated articles