Port of Trapani (Sicily)
The port of Trapani was established at a key point in the middle of the Mediterranean that made it well-known right from the time of the Carthaginians, Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans, and Arabs, until it experienced a period of prosperity under the dominion of the Norman King Roger II. This was especially thanks to the relief from customs duties for boats of every nation.
Starting from 1885 until about 1908 docks, jetties, and quays were built, which were then destroyed during the Second World War and subsequently rebuilt. The port and the historic town centre of Trapani are closely linked by history, culture, and location; in fact, the city was established and developed right around the port, and this is why it was called a “port city”. Today, just as in the time of the Carthaginians, those who disembark at the port of Trapani still pass through the historic town centre, which begins from Via A. Staiti. The port can be divided into three areas: one used for passenger traffic, one as a fishing port, and the other for loading and unloading goods. Along Via A. Staiti, right in the middle of the Sanità jetty, you’ll find the maritime station, which offers various services for waiting passengers, such as tourist information and food and drink.
The ferry service to Sardinia is operated by Tirrenia, which runs a Trapani – Cagliari connection once a week.