Port of Palermo (Sicily)
According to an ancient legend, Palermo owes its origins to an unknown sailor who landed on the island in ancient times, was enchanted by the land, and decided to build a city there. In the following years, thanks to its location, the city because a target for conquest by the Romans, Byzantines, Arabs, and Normans, up to the Spanish and the Bourbons. The first proper urban centre was established by the Phoenicians in the 8thcentury B.C., on the spot where the historical city centre of Palermo stands today and where trade with the local peoples took place at the time. For several centuries, it was a base of the Carthaginians, and later of the Romans, who conquered it in 254 B.C. and undertook intense maritime commercial activity, as testified by historical remains that have been found.
The structure of the port as we know it today was created from 1567 to 1590 by Viceroy Garcia de Toledo to meet the ever-growing commercial needs. The port of Palermo became increasingly important thanks above all to the creation of the Palermo shipyard. During the Second World War, it was bombed many times and, as a result, the port was rebuilt and modernised. In 1950, the maritime passenger station was built, where you’ll find a newsstand, information points, a cafe and cafeteria, luggage storage, and a car park.
Today, Palermo is the main gateway to Sicily for both passengers and goods, and is one of the most beautiful natural harbours in Europe. Ferry connections to Sardinia run by Tirrenia depart from Palermo to Cagliari.